Thursday, July 25, 2013

Perspectives on PRing

Tom posted an article from insidethebox.com this morning that really struck a cord with me. 
The past couple months have been confusing, to say the least.  I'm finally on a great program (thanks Andy!), I've been training hard, I'm crushing benchmark WODs, and I feel really strong.  BUT, I haven't hit new PRs in back squat or snatch (both of which I was consistently besting pre-Regionals). 
I kept leaving the gym frustrated and really bummed.
This is what I needed to see.
"In CrossFit, it’s always open season for committed newbies. There may be the expectation that CrossFit is most difficult at the beginning, and to whatever degree of truth there is to that, it’s offset by the progress that comes flowing in. In fact, it’s probably worth noting that this freeway doesn’t last forever. Eventually the arc slows down and PRs come at a slower, more infrequent rate.
One of the things you’ll notice is that the advanced CrossFitters of the gym have to work especially hard to claw their way to new PRs. They’re the ones arriving early or staying late to attack weaknesses or do extra mobility work. They’re the ones that look for every possible advantage in refining their nutrition and taking care of their hands. It’s good to pay attention to how they do things—for the newbies that stick with it and evolve into the veterans, this will be the future path to keep the PR machine going."
- T.J. Murphy is a veteran journalist, CrossFitter, and author of the upcoming book Inside the Box: How CrossFit® Shredded the Rules, Stripped Down the Gym, and Rebuilt My Body. 

Cheers to baby Everly!



No comments:

Post a Comment