Thursday, August 1, 2013

Lumbar Radiculopathy

Bad news.


I've had to take this whole week off from training because my back decided to be a butt-head.

After Saturday's workout my back began to bother me.  By Tuesday evening, the pain was bad enough that I had to take myself over to Urgent Care at my primary physician's office.

I'm very experienced when it comes to back pain (I had major back surgery back in December 2008 to fix a tumor infested, fractured L2).  This isn't my first time at the rodeo.

Fortunately, after a handful of x-rays and a nice shot in the butt, I was 'diagnosed' with lumbar radiculopathy, which is just a fancy way to say 'you have a pinched nerve(s) in your low back'.

At least the pain in my booty distracted me from my back.  
 I am always so fascinated by x-rays.  How weird/amazing/freaky is it that you can see pictures of your own bones!?
No.  This is not my skeleton. 

Instructions from the doctor were to follow up with my spine surgeon's office (just to make sure that this is not related to my prior treatments), take gobs of anti-inflammatories, and rest.

Apparently my back didn't get the memo that the rest area is closed and not open for visitors. GO HOME BACK PAIN! 

Rest is the nastiest four letter word I know.  I hate to rest.

These past few days I have felt so lazy, so out of shape, so tired, and so miserable.

Luckily I have been swamped with work and research, so I have stayed more than busy.


Hopefully things heal up quick (before I go even more crazy!).

As much as I miss CrossFit and lifting heavy things up and down, I also miss being able to sit in a chair, walk around, and lay in my bed without pain shooting up and spine and down my legs.



It's really easy for us to take advantage of a healthy body.  So don't.  Go do a couple of extra reps for me, and I'll go take a couple more Ibuprofen for us all.

DRAMATIZATION: I do not take this many pills. Thank god.



And If I can't convince myself to send positive thoughts out into the Universe, then maybe this will do the trick.






Cheers to hospital gowns!





No comments:

Post a Comment